Mia California

Dear future president

Overall, I hope you find importance in building the strong American identity that we are currently in need of. To make America strong once again we need to build a stronger unity amongst ourselves first.

Dear Future President of the United States of America,

Currently, America is dealing with many controversial issues, some less urgent than others. All of these issues need to be dealt with eventually in a smart and fair manner to avoid major conflict in the future. The problem with doing this is that we need the right person to be able to listen to the people of America and make the best choices for us. Right now we need a strong, persistent president that will be honest with the American people and take the correct initiatives for us. I also hope that you will put America first before anyone else, and truly prioritize for our country. After all, if America isn’t put first, how will we form unity?

An important issue you should address is foreign policy. At this point in time, America is vulnerable and needs to be very careful in terms of our course of action in regard to other countries. We need to improve our image so we aren’t seen as weak from the perspective of other countries. Because if other countries see us as weak, it will only increase their confidence and put us in more danger. China and Russia have been making their way to the top and are being seen as the “world superpowers”. America has always been seen as the world superpower, but recently we haven’t been taken as seriously. If we’re seen as a joke, what kind of position do you think this puts us in for foreign affairs?

The second issue I believe needs to be addressed is America’s immigration policy. As of right now, it is fought over whether or not we are in the position financially to let more people into America. Some believe we need to prioritize for our nation in terms of putting Americans first, while others think it’s more important to let everyone in, or “build bridges” as opposed to walls. Personally, I believethat until we are in a better financial position, we need to be careful to not lose the decreasing American unity we have. While at the same time I have sympathy for the people who are being kept out of America, I know that it is not realistic to adopt them while we are in this position, which is why we need a well-thought out, logical conclusion to this issue. I also suggest making it easier and more affordable for immigrants to obtain their citizenship so they can be here legally and fairly. A major issue American citizens have with these immigrants is that they aren’t citizens, meaning they aren’t paying the same taxes as everyone else. Seeing that, I think a lot of this controversy about immigration would disappear if these people came here legally.

Sincerely, Mia Power

Newbury Park High School

English 11IB period 2B

High school English IB course