Vanessa A. Utah

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

In this I write about the homeless population

I would like to address the issue on homelessness. As the years go by I feel like the homeless population is growing and we need to action to make sure that everyone can get back on their feet. Here are a few facts from the National Alliance to End Homelessness as of 2015 564,708 people were homeless on a given night in the U.S. and out of that number 206,286 were people in families and 358,422 were individuals. 15 percent of the homeless population were chronically homeless meaning for longer than a year. Two percent are chronically homeless in a family and lastly eight percent of the homeless population are veterans

I know that it may be hard to address this because we really don't know what a homeless person is going through on the daily and we also don't know what they actually need. As being the President of the United States I would like you to get involved so that you with the help of others can bring the numbers down.

Here are a few thoughts that I have on the issue. I think that we need to create more homeless shelters that could possibly provide some sort of education, donate more whether it be money, food, or clothes, take the time to really talk to them and see what they need, educate the people more about homelessness to bring more awareness, and many other things.

Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and I hope you consider some of the ideas that I brought forth to you. Enjoy being the Commander in Chief

Sincerely, Vanessa Austin

Judge Memorial

Judge Memorial-Jeffreys

Students enrolled in AP English Language and Composition at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City, Utah.