Lily Utah

Redefining Feminism

This letter is asking the future president to work to overcome the stereotypes of feminism and make a substantial gain in equality for men and women.

If there is one thing I could bestow upon you to make a concrete change in during your presidency, it would be redefining feminism. In today’s age, feminism is stereotyped as man hating, being a lesbian, harbouring anger, and wanting female domination. When in fact it is quite the opposite. The true definition of feminism, according to the Oxford Dictionary, is “the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.” Feminism entails equality for both sexes.

Emma Watson said, “...it is right that as a woman I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decision-making of my country. I think it is right that socially I am afforded the same respect as men…” If anyone can make drastic gains to achieve this, it is you Future President. Having a woman run for, and potentially win, the presidency is an enormous gain for women’s rights, but it’s not enough. We need to also work for the equality of men so that they “have permission to be vulnerable and human too-reclaim those parts of themselves they abandoned and in doing so be a more true and complete version of themselves”, as Emma Watson beautifully said.

By being such a prominent figure in today’s world, I truly believe that if you set your mind to change the stereotypes of feminism, it can be done. Your plan for equality, if accomplished, will change the future of girls and boys. It will allow for true expression of the people. It will eradicate the pretense of male dominance, and female inferiority. It will change the United States, and the world, for the better. You can be the voice that initiates true freedom, and complete the American vision of such. I ask you to make me an equal to my male counterpart, and them to me.

Thank you,

A Judge Memorial Catholic High School Senior