John Washington

The country of America is having many problems but the gun control issue is one of the big ones. The gun control issue is affecting everyone in the country including me and schools.

Dear Next President:

My name is John from Washington Middle school as an 8th grader. There are many problems and situation that needs to be fixed, but today I want to address the gun control issue in this letter. There are a lot of shooting accident in America actually the highest, and the fact that shootings are happening daily it scares my family. Not only my family it gives fear to the nation, and schools in America.

In the country of America there are more guns than people, and according to the message in “Gun Control” we have the highest shooting out of all the neighboring countries. That includes Canada, South America, and even Europe. The US has this issue because of weak laws, and others think that guns are needed in normal human life because of the second amendment “keep and bear arms” quote from the constitution. But if the issue is not resolved school’s will have to do lock down, kids at the age of six or seven have to do lock down because of people shooting. When kids have a shooting experience it may affect their brain, and other part of their body. For example in 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary School a lone shooter came in and killed 20 first graders and six adults, and the kids that survived had injuries that affected their life. Also the cops are afraid that the other person has a gun therefore they shoot without knowing they didn’t have a gun.

The Gun issue is a big problem, and it needs to be solved soon. The guns in America are mostly bought for protecting themselves because of the second amendment, but still a small amount of people uses the guns to kill. In America there have been solutions to make the law stronger, but people in this country will try to get guns just to kill people. Therefore, the guns in America should be all removed and replaced with a dart guns you can protect yourself like what the second amendment say, and not kill anyone. This will result in no more killing and peace.

To be more specific if my solution works, and guns are replaced with dart guns then not only the issue will be solved, but the US will be a better country. For example kids won’t be pressured to do the lock down as often, cops won’t be afraid to get closer to the person they going to arrest, and us the citizen will feel more comfortable with this solution. There is 20,000 thousands death because of gun control that number will be reduced to the hundreds. Over all if the issue is solved in my solution or any way the nation will feel safe again.

I believe the next president do have the power to fix this issue and you the next president should start by stop selling guns from anywhere. Stopping the sale of guns will stop people buying guns, and killing people. Instead, replace all the guns that are being sold with guns that are harmless but keeps the second amendment. The next president this issue can make a big change please look at this issue, and thank you for reading my letter.

Sincerely, John from Washington

Carter, Gregg Lee. "Gun Control." Issues: Understanding Controversy and Society, ABC-CLIO, 2016, issues.abc-clio.com/Topics/Display/913389?cid=41. Accessed 7 Nov. 2016.

Bagne, Mary. "Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting (2012) and Gun Control." Issues: Understanding Controversy and Society, ABC-CLIO,2016, issues.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/1791147. Accessed 7 Nov. 2016.

Thomas, Lauren. "Gun Control: Timeline." Issues: Understanding Controversy and Society, ABC-CLIO, 2016, issues.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/914128. Accessed 7 Nov. 2016.

Eakins, Keith Rollin. "Congressional Attitudes toward Gun Control." Issues: Understanding Controversy and Society, ABC-CLIO, 2016, issues.abc-clio.com/Search/Display/1661184. Accessed 7 Nov. 2016.

Lott, John R., Jr. More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1998.

Washington Middle School

Social Studies Period 1

8th Graders