Curtis B. Kentucky

Leave our Guns Alone

2nd Amendment Rights

Gun control laws do not put a halt on crime; gun ownership dose put a halt on crime. A Nov. 26, 2013 study found that, between 1980 and 2009, "assault weapons bans did not significantly affect murder rates at the state level" and "states with restrictions on the carrying of concealed weapons had higher gun-related murders.” While gun ownership doubled in the twentieth century the murder rate decreased. The Second Amendment of the US Constitution reads, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Gun ownership is an American tradition from the start of the country. It is protected by the Second Amendment; more gun control laws would be an infringement on our right to bear arms. According to the National Rifle Association (NRA), guns are used for self-defense 2.5 million times a year. The police cannot protect everyone all of the time. Of those surveyed, 61% of men and 56% of women by Pew Research said that stricter gun laws would "make it more difficult for people to protect their homes and families." The things stated above prove more gun control is not a good thing.