Kaitlynn W. Minnesota

Abortion should be banned only up to a point.

Congratulations on winning your party's nomination and the overall presidential race!

Unfortunately we still have many major issues in our country that still need to be discussed. For years abortion has been one of those major topics. The legislators of several states are trying to interfere with the lives of women, and how they decide to live it. Studies show that in 2012 more than 699,202 women have had abortions 20% of them have gotten one when they were more than 8 months pregnant. The abortion rate is 13.2 abortions per 1,000 women ages 15-44, and the abortion ratio was 210 abortions per 1,000 live births.

I believe that we need to put an end to late abortions, for the women who get abortions when their 6-9 months pregnant. There are many reasons why a woman would want to get an abortion these days. Also some states are trying to limit the factors of women health care. This law will make any clinics that support abortions have to meet the same standards of any other hospital. If this law passes in the states the women there would have to travel miles to get the health care they need or want.

I do understand that people have their personal opinions about abortion. People agree if a woman is pregnant they are carrying a human being in her, the rights of a child are just as relevant. When women have abortions they don't think about themselves, they are thinking about the future the child would have if they were to bring them into the world.

However, there are many girls out there who are being sexually abused by family members, sexually assaulted buy men. There are little girls who are being rapped and getting impregnated. If you were to have a daughter 11-14 years of age that had gotten sexually assaulted by a man. Would you really want her to go through the pregnancy? All the stress she would be under, knowing that the scariest moment in her life is never going to go away. She will always be reminded by the baby that is inside her.

Although, I get that some women or girls are holding the pregnancy until the last minute. You had 5 months to figure out if you want to keep the child or not. I believe that if a women is less than 3 months pregnant they should be able to choose if you want to keep the baby, put it up for adoption, or just have an abortion. That gives you plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. You shouldn't decided a week before the baby is due if you want to keep them or not.

There are also many other ways to prevent having an abortion. If you are a young teenage and are not ready to have a child, you should not put yourself in a situation where you could get pregnant. If it were to happen you have many choices to make. You can keep the child, put it up for adoption, or get an abortion. You don't have to wait until you are 8 months pregnant. That I understand because the baby is fully developed why not just go through the pregnancy and giving the baby up for adoption. But here's a question, if it's illegal for women to have abortions shouldn't it be against the law for the fathers to just leave?

It is very common for people to have different opinions or feelings on topics, but those opinions can't interfere with the rights people have. Those who believe that abortion is wrong may have different beliefs. They shouldn't discriminate the rights of how the others want to live there life. Or making then not live life the way they want. All of this could be prevented if we just compromise, we need a law saying abortion is legal up to a point. A women has a choice on how she wants to go through her pregnancy.

Kaitlynn 

Barnum High School

10th graders

Barnum Mn high school group