mOsEs California

Animal Rights

Animals that are not humans have the right to their lives and humans don't have the rights harm them more than necessary. It is our job to make sure that they get the treatment they deserve.

Dear Future President of the United States of America

Many people ask if animals should have rights, I personally believe that animals should have rights. Animals are in fact living creatures that feel pain and feel suffering. Just because animals look different than we do that doesn't mean that they cannot feel emotion. For example Elephants feel and grieve for their dead. This is because they have such intense social groups that they become sad when one of their own die.

“The question is not ‘Can they reason?’ nor ‘Can they talk?’ but ‘Can they suffer?’” 

This is a quote from Jeremy Bentham, the founder of the reforming utilitarian school of moral philosophy, stated this when deciding on a beings rights. I feel like we have to look at this when we focus on places that produce meat. Factory Farms that produce meat cram animals by the thousand into disgusting, windowless sheds, wire cages and other harmful containment units.  Factory Farms do not even give the animal a chance to live their lives, they don't get to care for the animals that they didn't even intend to have. Animals go through a process called artificial insemination. The animals are impregnated against their will by humans. Factory Farms look to make a lot of income with using as little money as possible, and the animals pain is the result of these greedy actions. The animals on these farms are introduced to antibiotics used to make the animals grow faster and live longer in the filthy, unsanitary conditions, basically prolonging their suffering.

“When it comes to pain, love, joy, loneliness, and fear, a rat is a pig is a dog is a boy. Each one values his or her life and fights the knife."-Ingrid Newkirk

It is our fault that animals have been put into this state. It is now our responsibility to make sure that the animals get the rights they deserve. 

Sincerely, Moses V.