Annette S. California

What is it worth?

Is medical insurance coverage worth the price people pay?

There are some times when you need to be constantly told a certain thing to understand it. Everyone has to deal with medical insurance, and today I will present another issue that has been discussed over and over again.

It makes you feel secure to have medical insurance on a regular basis, especially in unpredictable situations. But overpriced medical insurance is increasingly affecting family budgets. My mother works very hard to balance regular bills and life necessities. Because her income happens to be a little bit higher than the required amount for affordable insurance, she has to pay an extremely high price for medical insurance in proportion to what she makes. Paying a higher price for insurance over the year leaves us with less money and affects our budget immensely. The only way my mother and I can get affordable health insurance is if she earns less money. If that would become the case, we would be in a situation where we would have to drastically change our lives, and all her efforts would go to waste.

A lot of people can agree that this system has its flaws. Unfortunately there are situations where people consider to pay the fee instead of paying for insurance every month, risking their health. Sometimes it comes to the point when people have no choice but to stop paying insurance altogether. This doesn't always solve the problem. A remote friend couldn't afford to pay insurance any more and decided to drop it. Ironically, the next day, he had a heart attack. Due to the fact that he stopped paying insurance, he wasn't covered regardless of how long he has paid for his insurance in the past. His family turned to friends for help and asked to fund his hospital expenses. If they wouldn't, they would have lost their house. I'm sure there are many individuals and families whose medical insurance coverage doesn't match their personal situations and conditions. 

Now I ask you, Future President, do you think it's worth it? Is it worth all the effort and time and money for overpriced insurance? If people can't afford medical insurance the health of the country will soon decline. Please consider this in your next decision. 

Annette 

Picture URL: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiyl9HokpfQAhVN4GMKHR01AtcQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.studying-in-us.org%2Fhealth-insurance-and-the-health-care-system%2F&psig=AFQjCNHfzjqbLEv2VyExNuQwLhbhPN_izQ&ust=1478625346647257

Santa Clara High School

Flowers English 9 Honors

Students in Flowers English 9 Honors Class