Aleea California

Protecting Wildlife

I am writing this letter about a serious problem that I care about. Today’s wildlife is suffering. We need to start paying more attention to this matter, and doing everything we can to help. This is a problem that we caused and now we need to start making up for it by protecting our wildlife.

People take animals out of their natural habitat and sell them on the black market. Marine turtles, crocodiles, and endangered birds are a popular trade. “In recent years, law enforcement agents have made dozens of arrests and seized products with a street value of $75 million…”Poachers kill endangered animals just to sell them and make a lot of money. Poachers kill almost one hundred elephants every day for their ivory. Today, our wildlife face habitat loss, habitat destruction, and habitat fragmentation. It takes wildlife years to recover from disasters that we cause. Human activities such as, agriculture, oil, and gas exploration, and commercial development damage ecosystems.

Many people are ignorant when it comes to our wildlife. They leave garbage that can be harmful to animals without even batting an eye. Today, our wildlife face habitat loss, habitat destruction, and habitat fragmentation. It takes wildlife years to recover from disasters that we cause. Human activities such as, agriculture, oil, and gas exploration, and commercial development damage ecosystems. This impacts animals, plants, habitats, sea life, and even our environment. We drive living creatures out of their homes. We kill creatures, and destroy plants and forests. We need to stop and think who and what we are hurting. A lot of people don’t think that this is a big deal, or they just don’t care because it’s not hurting them. Many of us don’t believe animals and plants have as much of a right to live in peace and safety than humans do. Building structures, and having exotic skins is more important to us than wildlife's safety.

We can defend and strengthen the endangered species act to help this cause. We should protect and restore habitats, and reduce threats to wildlife. We can start raising more awareness of these issues, and stressing that people be more courteous to our wildlife and their homes. We can also make more laws against poaching, and greater consequences for people who break it. We need to stop illegal wildlife trafficking, and create more laws against it. We should also start increasing funding for programs that benefit endangered species.

There are so many things we need to work on in helping to protect our wildlife. We are already taking steps towards this, but we have to push harder. We need to do more and more to get back on track with protecting our wildlife.

Sincerely, Aleea Estabrook                                                                                

MCAA

MCAA B2

English 9 Block 2 students share their concerns with the next President of the United States