Marisa Padovani Ohio

Endangered Species

We need to do more to protect endangered species in this world.

Nov.17, 2016

We need to do more to protect endangered species in this world. The United States has actually done a good job protecting endangered species. According to the website U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, they have prevented 99% of endangered species from becoming extinct since they passed the Endangered Species Act of 1973. However, the rest of the world has not done a good job protecting endangered species.

We continue to lose species around the world because of things humans do. We keep making pollution and harming the environment. The main reason we lose species is habitat loss. We are always cutting down trees and forests to make houses and other buildings. This destroys the animals homes and they die. The tropical rainforest has the biggest problem. It contains up to half of the world’s species and it loses millions of acres a year due to humans. Many species are becoming extinct around the world because humans destroy their habitats.

There needs to be a better way of dealing with animals instead of hurting them and destroying their homes. Leopards, elephants, and especially tigers are the most endangered species. Amur leopards are one of the most rarest and endangered species on this planet. In 2007 there were only 30 amur leopards left but they have doubled in just a few years because people have worked hard to protect them.

Please work with world leaders to make them protect endangered species in their own countries, especially countries with tropical rain forests. If all of the countries do this, we can really make a difference and stop species from becoming extinct. We need to protect the species we have for future generations!

Marisa Padovani