Aly A.

Developing Adequate Rights and Care for United States Army Veterans

Dear Mr. President,

Were you aware that over 57,000 people of the current homeless population have served and fought for our separated country’s well-being and safety? That is around 8.6% of the entire United States homeless population as a whole. These devastating statistics are a direct representation of the moral of our government and presidency, diminishing the true worth and nobility of our country. The issue of development for adequate rights and medical care for U.S. army veterans is extremely important to be addressed and acted on. Veterans, also considered true nationwide heroes, receive undersized amounts of rights and care compared to the level of hard work and courage they put forward in defending the United States of America. The United States government needs to provide adequate and ample medical care for army force veterans, for our country would be far from where it is today without these long serving, dedicated soldiers. Mr. President, the fate and future of each and every struggling veteran, just barely living in the United States, resides in your hands, it is up to you to make a difference and show the rest of the national and international community what our government’s honest priorities are.

Statistics have shown that most, if not all veterans return home with some sort of physical or mental disability. A study from Brown University shows that at least 970,000 veterans have some degree of officially recognized disability as a result of the wars. Many more live with physical and emotional scars despite lack of disability status. Additionally, as recently announced by Nextgov, as many as 300,000 disability claims filed electronically in 2013 are incomplete and starting to expire, while over a quarter of a million vets are appealing their disability claims decisions, due to the lack of fast acting and motivated working from the government. Once a US army soldier returns home from fighting for our country injured, normally, their family and loved ones are burdened with the responsibility of providing them attentive medical care, whether physically and/or mentally-even in situations where veterans reside in veteran hoses and military hospitals. The strain put onto these people and local organizations is said to have been “an express part of military planning,” in the perspective of Brown University. It is extremely disappointing that the military is not willing or providing care for the heros of our country. It is the responsibility of the United States government to care and provide for our country’s past defenders, considering the government was their past employer. Our government needs to take full initiative in providing for the people who have selflessly acted and fought for our country.

In effects to the lack of care and responsibility taken by the government the suicide rates of veterans have increased tremendously. Twenty two veterans kill themselves every day according to the Veterans Administration. Additionally, USA Today reported a suicide rate of 19.9 per 100,000 for civilian men compared to rates of 31.8 per 100,000 for male soldiers and 34.2 per 100,000 for men in the National Guard. These traumatic rates of death for people deservantt of so much more rights and respect then given are paining.

Immediate actions on rebuilding lives for veterans are necessary and are greatly called upon. In doing so, there are many angles to take in what can be done to solve this issue. In regards to veteran homelessness, housing needs to be avidly provided for all United States veterans. Realistically thinking, this may be difficult to fulfill, in this situation, daily open veteran homeless shelters providing food, medical care and all necessary for survival, including providing these helpless people with opportunities to rebuild their lives with jobs and careers. At least one veteran homeless shelter should be held in every state, within cities of larger veteran homeless population. All shelters should be military run, in hopes to give veterans back what they were deprived of after their time serving. Additionally, in catering to not only homeless veterans, but veterans burdening their family members, facilities built on local military bases to supply these slightly more fortunate veterans with the same amount care as the homeless shelter would, giving family members a chance to relax with the confidence that their loved ones are under upstanding and adequate care.

The United States of America would not be as high functioning and developed without the courageous acts of each and every army veteran that has served our country. Your new presidency is a huge advantage for these heroic people and could truly save lives with correct action. But it is up to you as to where you prioritize your power. So, what do the lives of U.S veterans mean to you Mr. President? What will you choose to do with your power? How will you truly make America great again?