Jasmine G. Washington

Minimum Wage

Raise Minimum Wages for working Americans

Dear Mr. or Ms. President,

“We should raise the minimum wage so that no one who works full time has to live in poverty” (Barack Obama). Minimum wage is an issue that affects many working Americans and it's not fair to them to not get a low pay for their work, they should get a reasonable pay that will at least help them get past in life and help provide to their families. People should care about this issue because it can help minimize the homeless people on the streets which would also decrease all the litter everywhere because they’ll have somewhere to live. The minimum wage no longer serves its purpose of providing enough money for people to live off of and people who work aren’t getting enough enough money to support themselves and their family. Minimum wage also doesn’t offer a fair pay to Americans.

Minimum wage doesn’t offer a fair pay for the hard work that Americans are doing everyday. In an article titled Why the minimum wage should be raised to $15 an hour Robert Reich states “the typical worker is also about twice as productive as then. Some of those productivity gains should go to workers at the bottom” (Reich). Barack Obama also once said that “We should raise the minimum wage so that no one who works full time has to live in poverty” (Obama). These quotes support my point because it proves that people work for hours and hours at a time but get a low pay for it. It's not fair to them to work so hard for so little money.

Minimum wage also doesn’t serve its purpose of providing enough money for people to live off of and raise workers out of poverty to support themselves and their family. In an article titled It’s Been Six Years Since Feds Raised The Minimum Wage by Conner D. Wolf the author explains how “This well-deserved increase will help workers better provide for their families in the face of today’s economic challenges” (Wolf). It’s important to ensure that American workers and their families are being financially supported for their work so that it can keep both them and their families stable. This supports my claim because it just proves my point that the minimum wage is no longer serving the purpose of providing just enough money to keep American workers financially stable which was the whole point of having a minimum wage.

People may say that Minimum-wage workers tend to be people who are young, have never been married, are unskilled, have no more than a high-school education, work part-time, and work in the leisure and hospitality sectors of the economy. But these are Americans who are trying to contain a job and earn money. Their putting in the effort and earning skills as they go along. Everyone has to start somewhere, everyone has been unskilled at a job, unmarried, young and work part time so why should we treat them less them and give them a smaller pay? We shouldn't and it's not fair to them.

As I've proved in this letter Minimum wage affects many working people and is a growing issue that should be solved. It’s unfair and it isn’t serving its purpose of providing enough money for people to live off of. We need to treat everyone equally and raise the minimum wage to give all American workers the opportunity to work and live off of the income that they receive.

FutureofFreedom. "Why We Should Not Raise the Minimum Wage - The Future of

Freedom Foundation." The Future of Freedom Foundation. N.p., 21 Aug. 2013. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.

"It’s Been Six Years Since Feds Raised The Minimum Wage. What Were The

Economic Results?" The Daily Caller. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.

Reich, Robert. "Why the Minimum Wage Should Really Be Raised to $15 an Hour."

The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, n.d. Web. 25 Oct. 2016.

West Seattle High School

2nd Block

4th/5th period