Herbert Washington

Mexicans in America

This letter is about the discrimination Mexican immigrants face in America.

Dear Mr. or Ms. President,

I am a proud Mexican and I live in America. Well I’m a Mexican American. I’m not the only child whose parents immigrated to America. Mexicans come to America to have a job, wife, to be legal, get a place to live and to get food. But, People who are anti-immigration usually discriminate against immigrants because they think they are taking their money or that they are dangerous.

People are making false statements about Mexican immigrants to make them look bad. For example, Donald Trump says, “You have people coming in, and I’m not just saying Mexicans, I’m talking about people that are from all over that are killers and rapists and they’re coming into this country.” Trump is trying to scare people by saying things about Mexicans, that they’re killers and rapists all over America. This does not make Americans want to have immigrants in America. However, there are a lot of Mexican immigrants here who don’t fit this stereotype. Migration Policy.org says that “In 2014, more than 11.7 million Mexican immigrants resided in the United States, accounting for 28 percent of the 42.4 million foreign-born population—by far the largest immigrant origin group in the country” (ZONG & BATALOVA). This shows that not all Mexicans here are criminals.

There is a lot of talk about ending immigration to United States. Donald Trump also says he wants Mexico to pay for a wall between America and Mexico (even though Mexico is much poorer than the United States). Many people in Mexico are immigrating to America because Mexico is so poor, so that’s why they immigrate; To get a job in America. Trump said, “Mexico is going to pay for the wall” (Huffington Post). Trump wanting to build a wall tells the public that he wants the immigrants out of America, and stay out. It says people in America should be scared of the people on the other side of the wall.

PBS Newshour Donald Trump said, “While there are many illegal immigrants in our country who are good people, this doesn’t change the fact that most illegal immigrants are lower-skilled workers with less education who compete directly against vulnerable American workers.” (trump). PBS Newshour Donald Trump also said“Not everyone who seeks to join our country will be able to successfully assimilate. It is our right as a sovereign nation to choose immigrants that we think are the likeliest to thrive and flourish here” (Trump). This shows that trump think us Mexicans are not smart enough to “THRIVE” in the united states and “FLOURISH”. Also many people not just Donald Trump think Mexicans are “LOWER-SKILLED WORKERS” in America and it’s not true just because Mexico is poor and not a very good place not learn doesn’t mean that their lower skilled workers that’s kinda racist.

People who are anti-immigration usually discriminate against immigrants because they think they are taking their money or that they are dangerous.i am convinced that people can change and that Mexicans and other immigrants from all over aren’t killers or rapists i know that there are some people that are but it doesn’t mean one person that is let you see they are racially different and make false comments about them.

Herbert M.

"Immigration." Immigration Policy. Donald Trump, n.d. Web. 18 Oct. 2016.

Ayon, Cecilia, and David Becerra. "Mexican Immigrant Families Under Siege: The

Impact of Anti-Immigrant Policies, Discrimination, and the Economic Crisis."

Advances in Social Work (2013): n. pag. Indiana University. Web.

Araujo, Blanca. "MIGRANT FARMWORKER STUDENT’S COUNTERSTORIES:

CONTRADICTING IMMIGRATION MYTHS AND STEREOTYPES." International

Journal of Critical Pedagogy (2016): 7-23. Web. 11 Oct. 2016.