Elizabeth M. Idaho

Abortion is something we should not take lightly...

Abortion is something we should not take lightly. I understand that women should be able to make their own decisions about the controversial topic, but I believe something needs to be done in order to decrease the number of abortions that happen year round. The numbers of abortion is roughly 1.21 million a year. 50% of women are younger than 25, 33% of women are from ages 20-24, 33% are all teenagers and 1.2% are under the age of 15 according to abortionno.org. 

Instead of abortion there should be more orphanages spread out around the US for women to seek out in this certain situation. Doctors should also say how it would affect you in the long run. Americanpregnancy.org says that women reported that the abortion procedure affected them more than they thought it would. This lead to emotional or psychological struggles. Some examples of these struggles are regret, anger, guilt, shame, sense of loneliness or isolation, loss of self confidence, insomnia or nightmares, relationship issues, suicidal thoughts and feelings, eating disorders, depression and anxiety.

I understand that some women are not affected and are simply for abortion, but the women who have no choice should be able to have a choice. Women should be able to feel okay to give up a baby to a family instead of going through the procedure to get rid of it. Some who believe there is a baby inside of them and are forced to do the procedure can have a very negative affect on themselves for the rest of their lives. Women need to feel okay about their decisions before and after the procedure. There should be more options to choose from and abortion should not be one of them.

Thank you for your consideration,

Elizabeth