A Concerned Student Michigan

Racial Police Brutality

Problems about racial police brutality and what we can do to solve this issue.

I know you're probably tired of getting letters about racial police brutality but I feel like I need to get my opinion and voice out somewhere about how I feel about this situation and how someone needs to stop it. Since the 1900’s police brutality had been a problem because of racial discrimination. You see next president, I am African American and I know what it's like to fear the police because you're afraid they might harm you or even kill you. Since the Trayvon Martin case my parents are constantly have conversations with me about what to do if I am ever involved with the police so I’m prepared. You see when you're my age your parents are suppose to talk to you about the birds and the bees not how to keep your hands up and not to resist.

I’ve been watching the news on the cases involving this issue from the deaths of Eric Garner in 2014 because of a apparent use of choke hold by an officer, to Michael Brown, Walter L. Scott, Freddie Gray, and Tamir Rice a 12 year old boy who was shot by the police in Cleveland, Ohio because he was playing with a toy pistol. The sad part about this is none of the officers involved in these cases were not charged with anything.

The law enforcement needs to change in America, I don’t believe that anyone especially African Americans feel safe.Our citizens deserve to be protected. If this doesn't stop, then people are going to start taking things into their own hands and fight back, and in some areas they're doing it right now. When is someone going to take charge and stop letting the police think they’re above the law?

When are the police going to start thinking with their head instead of their guns? Police brutality and unlawful shootings will still be a problem unless something is done now. Please do something about it right away when you get into office.

A Concerned Student

Avondale High School

Avondale High School

Honors English 10