Alyssa Minnesota

Animal Agriculture

Animal agriculture is negatively affecting our planet and our health, along with killing billions of animals a year. I believe you can help.

Congratulations on winning in this past election. I would like to share with you some information about how animal agriculture is negatively affecting our planet, and how I think you can fix it. I know I was shocked to learn this information, and I feel that there should be changes to stop it. So I ask that you keep an open mind and consider what I have to say, so hopefully we can change the world for the better.

According to PETA, “The American government spends $38 billion a year to pay the meat and dairy industries while they only spend $17 million for fruits and vegetables a year.” This is deeply concerning when you think about how livestock and their byproducts make up 51% of global Greenhouse Gas emissions worldwide, and all transportation only makes up 13%. Cows alone produce 150 billion gallons of Methane per day, which is 82 times worse than CO2.

Along with the massive amounts of pollution animal agriculture produces, it also has a massive body count. According to AnimalEquality, “more than 56 billion farmed animals are killed every year by humans. And that number doesn't even include fish or other sea creatures.” Although some would like to believe, these animals don't go out quick or painlessly. Dairy cows, for example, are forcibly impregnated (raped) so they can produce milk. Once the baby is born it is ripped away from its mother and slaughtered for veal. When the mother can’t produce milk anymore, it is slaughtered as well. No matter how you look at it, there is no “humane” way to kill anything.

But if you don’t really care about the animals or what they have to endure to become your meal, then think about starving men, women, and children around the world. If you think about it, there are one billion starving people on this planet, yet we have enough food to feed around 70 billion animals a year. If we took the grain we used to feed the animals and gave it to people instead, world hunger would no longer exist.

Speaking of food, Americans eat a lot of it. And some of the food we are eating is killing us. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, “Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women. More than half of the deaths due to heart disease in 2009 were in men.” And according to PETA, Heart disease is usually due to diets that have a lot of animal products. Animal products such as: meat, eggs, and dairy are all very high in saturated fat and cholesterol.

Although all of these things are terrible, they can be avoided. My solution is to stop funding animal agriculture and instead start funding the production of fruits and vegetables. Introducing a more plant-based or vegan diet to American’s will stop all the negative effects from factory farming. Although nothing changes overnight, I’m hopeful that people will be open-minded about this solution.

I’m sure that a huge concern on your mind and many others is, “Where do you get your protein?” According to Peta, “Unlike animal protein, plant-based protein sources contain healthy fiber and complex carbohydrates.” Animal product have also been linked to many different types of cancer due to their artery clogging properties. It has been shown that people who live a more vegan/vegetarian lifestyle live longer than those who eat animal products. According to The American Dietetic Association, “Vegetarians and vegans live on average six to ten years longer than meat eaters. And meat eaters and twice as likely to develop heart disease.” There have even been people who have reversed their type 2 diabetes, stopped taking insulin, and stopped taking all medications just by switching to a vegan lifestyle.

In closing, I really appreciate you taking time to read my letter. I hope this information impacted you in someway and encouraged you to help put an end to animal suffering, the negative impact on health from animal products, and the destruction of our environment. The animals, environment, and people of America will benefit greatly from your decision to help out.

Alyssa Arrowood, Grade 10

Eagan, Minnesota

Henry Sibley High School

Imm

Ms. Imm's American Lit classes