Taryn Minnesota

Solar roadways

America needs a new form of energy, more renewable energy.

America uses 10% renewable energy, while 35% goes to Petroleum, 28% to Natural gases, 18% to Coal, and 8% to Nuclear electric power. America needs a new form of energy, we need more renewable energy, more clean energy like solar panels. America should switch our roads, highways, driveways, sidewalks and even parking lots to solar panels because they are more safe than asphalt or concrete, they give us clean energy from the sun, and they will help our economy.

I feel we should use solar roadways instead of concrete or asphalt because they make roads a lot safer. In his article “Solar-powered roads: Coming to a highway near you” Teo Kermeliotis of CNN states that "They [solar panels] prevented snow and ice accumulation this past winter and are producing the expected amount of power...," Asphalt and concrete can not prevent snow and ice, thus proving that solar roadways are safer for different seasons.

Installing solar roadways will help our economy. According to a 2014 CNN article “Solar-powered roads: Coming to a highway near you” by Teo Kermeliotis, he mentions “...massive energy generator that could feed the grid during daytime. They would also recharge electric vehicles while moving, thus helping to reduce greenhouse emissions drastically”. Solar roadways would help with reducing greenhouse emissions, which will benefit our economy by saving business and consumers money, and will improve the people's health.

So, Next President, Don’t you think it’s time to install solar roadways to our roads, highways, driveways, sidewalks and even parking lots? I believe if you do this, it will be safer, it will improve health overall, and it will be better for our economy.

Sincerely

Taryn

Grade 10

St. Paul, Minnesota