Jack Minnesota

Global Warming

It's time for change.

Dear, next president, there is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere today than at any point in the last 800,000 years. I strongly believe that this this is a very important issue and that you need to step up to make a change to better this environment before it is too late. We need laws and programs to be put into action to help stop the destruction of our only planet.

I feel afraid about the future of the environment because of the drastic climate change we’ve been experiencing. I believe that if nothing is done to stop it, this world will see terrible changes that we will never be able to fix. Former United States Senator from Connecticut, Joe Lieberman was quoted as saying: “Global warming is not a conqueror to kneel before - but a challenge to rise to. A challenge we must rise to”. Americans make up only 4% of the world's population, however we produce 25% of the world’s Carbon Dioxide emissions. I believe that with certain laws and restrictions put upon us, we could greatly reduce our carbon footprint, but everybody needs to help. It is a challenge we must all rise up to together, and with proper leadership, it is a challenge that we absolutely can conquer.

I believe that you, the leader of this great country can definitely do something to stop or at least slow down global warming. We need to stop pretending it’s a myth and start educating kids about it in school. U.S. representative from Florida, Debbie Wasserman Shultz once said “To be clear, climate change is a true 800 pound gorilla in the room.” It absolutely needs to be discussed. We need to teach about different ways we affect our environment and all of the ways we can help our atmosphere. Ashley Fantz of CNN wrote in the article Four Things We Know About Climate Change: “scientists who study climate are overwhelmingly in agreement that the Earth is warming and humans are the cause.” Climate Change is our fault and we’re responsible for stopping it. We need to cut our reliance on fossil fuels and use more eco-friendly alternatives, like wind and solar power.

I hope you share these beliefs and understand that something needs to be done for this environment, this is the only Earth we have and we can’t just sit by and watch it be destroyed. We need you to do something, before it’s too late.

Jack

11th grade

Eagan, MN