Maya F. New York

Animal Agriculture

An essay about the effects of animal agriculture, and how it contributes to global warming, deforestation, etc.

Over 3,000 animal are slaughtered in slaughter houses around the world every second. That's more than 56 billion every year. I don't know about you but I personally think that's messed up! This is not only an ethical problem but also a climate change problem.

Animal agriculture is one of the leading causes of climate change. It accounts for at least 32,000 million tons of carbon dioxide per year. That is a lot of carbon dioxide (CO2). On top of all the CO2, methane is also caused by animal agriculture. Methane is 21 times better at trapping heat than CO2. This is crazy considering cows produce 150 billion gallons of methane per day. 

Livestock is the leading cause of rainforest destruction. Animal agriculture is accountable for up to 91% of the Amazon rainforest destruction. 136 million acres have been cleared for animal agriculture when only 26 million has been cleared for palm oil production. National Geographic says at this rate, the worlds rainforests could diminish and potentially disappear within the next 100 years.

I think you as president should do what you can to help minimize the impact animal agriculture is making on our country and our world. Perhaps by setting laws and guidelines on how many animals   factory farms can farm.

- Maya Figueroa