Sara Clarke

Your Religion does not make you a Terrorist.

---

Dear Mr. President

Now I hate to break it to you, but here are 6.1 million people displaced in Syria. The worst part is... Half of them are children. So I would like to know Mr. President, What are you going to do about it?

I'm not going to lie Mr. President I really shouldn't get a say in the matter, nor should I be giving my opinion on it. But the fact that I am is the important part. I am a 14 year old white girl who is raised with the privilege of a great education, clean clothes, Access to technology and a roof over my head. Really, i'm quite lucky compared to other people. What i'm trying to say is that a teenage girl has to write a letter to the president because no one important has. But, like I said, I'm 14, I really don't have an idea on what to do about it but I know something other than ignoring them has to be done.

The reason i'm writing to you is that i'm scared. I'm scared you're not going to do anything about it. A group of people can't come into america because of their religious beliefs? Ridiculous. Ever since 9/11 this country has been scared of Muslims. I understand that people label and discriminate against races and religions but we need to get past our bias. This is bigger than Islamophobia. Innocent people and families are suffering and dying. We should help people when we are able to help.

Besides the fact that innocent people and families are suffering, another reason reason to take into account when deciding whether or not to take refugees in. One that might interest you from a political view is the fact that Washington will look morally better, which will help persuade allies to do more to help resolve the Syrian war and overall convince them to be more involved with the refugee crisis.

This issue really doesn't affect me personally but it affects people other than you or me. One person that was affected was Faez. Faez was lucky. After seeing such crisis in Syria and almost being shot because he was mistaken for a terrorist, he and his wife fled to the U.S. Today they live in the suburbs of Dallas with his wife and 2 children. He works 9 hours a day at a Walmart. Another refugee named Mohanad came here with his wife in child in fear of being drafted. He has a 4 hour part time job while his wife takes care of their daughter and cooks them Syrian dishes. It's important you see stories like this so you understand that these refugees are coming for a better life. They want to work and be functioning people of society. Being a Muslim does not make you a terrorist.

I am not the president. I do not have power in this issue. So I beg of you, please help these people. I don't know what you should do, I just know something needs to be done.

Thank you,

Sara