Jahnavi T. California

ISIS: An International Terror

The regime of ISIS has afflicted not one, but many nations worldwide. All nations must unite to combat the terror and maintain peaceful relations among all nations.

Terrorism and violence has increased substantially since the bombing of the Twin Towers on September 11, 2001. According to the Daily News, there were 982 violent attacks in 2002 and this has since risen dramatically to 4,564 in 2011. Many now argue that significant acts of terror have decreased since 2011 and are not plaguing society internationally. However, this conjecture remains untrue as groups such as ISIS, an extremist faction, have contributed to numerous attacks worldwide in the recent past. Our response to this abominable behavior is to deploy troops to the afflicted region and use violence to stop violence. I believe that as a nation and superpower, we cannot promote the use of violence to combat violence without proper justification. All nations must come together and formulate an effective plan to combat groups like ISIS by deeply considering the cause behind the recent acts of violence and how to address these issues in a diplomatic manner. 

Terrorism is often a response to an existing issue according to the American Psychological Association. Tory DeAngelis, writer for the American Psychological Association explains:

What's more [is that] one group's terrorist is another group's freedom fighter, as the millions of Arabs who support Palestinian suicide bombers will attest.

If this is true, then who are we to physically attack before we even fully understand the mindset of the terrorists and what they are going through? Yes, it seems quite illogical to even consider beings of terror as humans when they clearly commit acts of inhumanity. Even I am scared to death by what I have been exposed to regarding ISIS and their many attacks. But, I also realize that under these heavily armed individuals are people who have feelings. 

Psychologist John Horgan asserts, after conducting a study at Pennsylvania State University, that people who immerse themselves in the world of terror tend to feel:

• Angry/Alienated
  • Their current political standing and level of involvement are not allowing them to make change happen.
  • They need more than just rousing speeches. They need action!
  • Joining a movement of action will allow them to make the necessary changes.
  • Violence against the sate is not immoral if our own governments use combatative violence to get the message across.
Considering these points, it is safe to attest that as citizens of various nations, we are all responsible for whatever, good or bad, goes on.  
Leadership is not a position or a title, it is action and example. -Unknown

Ultimately, as President of the United States, it is his or her responsibility to lead his or her nation alongside others in peace. If terrorism exists internationally, then it is the responsibility of the president to make an exemplary and executive decision to take action with other nations around the world by implementing a plan to reach out to ISIS and listen to what they have to say before going in, guns blazing. After all, we are what we observe and feel.

Regards,

Jahnavi T.

Newbury Park High School

IB Lang & Lit HL 1 - Period 3A (Lilly)

Newbury Park's period 3A IB Lang & Lit course