Rohan D'Souza California

Waterboarding in Guantanamo Bay

Guantanamo Bay is unethical and illegal and therefore should be shutdown.

Waterboarding in Guantanamo Bay sounds like a highly interesting leisure activity if you do not know what that is. Well… waterboarding in Guantanamo Bay is probably one of the worst physical and emotionally distraught experiences a human can ever endure.

Most people know Guantanamo Bay, Cuba as a detention camp, but it was originally a United States Naval Base established in 1898. This was only obtained after U.S. took control of Cuba from Spain at the end of the Spanish-American War. According to the Public Broadcasting Service, the U.S. gained the lease on Guantanamo Bay in 1903 and only in the late 1900’s was it turned into a detention camp for Cuban and Haitian refugees. Later, in 1993 the detention camp was deemed unconstitutional by a U.S. District Court judge. However, U.S. still kept the lease on the island; 5 years later the American Government decided to use its naval base as a prison camp for detainees from Afghanistan and Iraq. Now it is considered a detention camp for the world's most dangerous people.

The vast majority of the world advocates for the closing of Guantanamo Bay; it has been under scrutiny for decades. The first opponents to Guantanamo Bay were the true owners of that island, Cuba. Cuba believed the land was not obtained fairly, and has been demanding the land be returned for the better half of the last several decades. However, the rest of the world opposes the detention camp as well, and their reasoning is much stronger. It is a known fact that America tortures individuals at the prison. As a result many world leader believe that the Guantanamo Bay detention Camp is an inhuman way of dealing with America’s threats. In fact, Vladimir Putin, who justified unethical an illegal mass invasions, publicly commented on the poor ethics behind America’s Guantanamo Bay.

The main reason what America should close down the Guantanamo Bay is due to its sheer lack of knowledge. We blatantly do not know is all the people in Guantanamo Bay are dangerous people. This means that the U.S. is illegally capturing young men and keeping them for the rest of their life, with the hope that the man they had just captured is potentially dangerous. Some of them truly are dangerous, but the problem lies in those who are not. The fact that we can so willingly torture and take away the basic human right of other out of fear and a hunch, is unjustifiable and puts America in light of “playing God”. Guantanamo Bay should be closed down as soon as possible before it leads to huge international conflicts.

Newbury Park High School

IB Lang & Lit HL 1 - Period 3A (Lilly)

Newbury Park's period 3A IB Lang & Lit course