Sofia Georgia

LGBTQ+ deserve more rights

The LGBTQ+ community needs to recieve the same rights as everyone else.

Many people from the LGBTQ+ community aren’t being treated equally, and they should be given the same rights as everyone else. Some people are bullying people that belong in the LGBTQ+ community just because they’re different, but people need to understand that they’re just like us. I believe that people shouldn’t be bullied or judged just because they changed their gender or because of their sexuality. I say they deserve the same rights as everyone else to be treated fairly just as every other person.

Many people in the LGBTQ+ community are being bullied for coming out and being who they are. For example, in the article Gay and lesbian rights by A. J. Smuskiewicz, it states “gay teens attempt suicide at a rate that is two to six times greater than that of heterosexual teens. Gay teens also have a higher rate of alcohol and drug abuse and are at greater risk for school failure than straight teens. A substantial proportion of gay teens drop out of high school because of discomfort stemming from verbal or physical abuse.” This shows that students that are being bullied are dropping out of school to not deal with the problem anymore because of how much they can’t take it, and it even says that students are committing suicide from being bullied too much for being who they are. Also, gay and lesbian adolescents are affected by discrimination too.This might make other people who belong in the LGBTQ+ community to not be themselves because they’re scared of the bullying they might go through. The bullying will cause them to either drop out, commit suicide, or do drugs. They shouldn’t be scared of what other people think about them because they can’t change who they are just for you.

On June 26, 2015, same sex marriage was allowed in all but fourteen states that prohibit it. This law was fair, but the fourteen states that refused need to allow it. People aren’t allowing laws to be given to the LGBTQ+ community, and it’s unfair because you are prohibiting them from being happy when they deserve it. For example, some places are starting to let the gender they want to be known as let them use the bathroom that they want to go in. In the article Transgender rights by Zach Klimecki, it states “Some people are denying transgender to use the restroom that they feel most comfortable in.” They’re denying it because they’re scared people are going to take advantage of it to rape someone. Although that could happen, there is a low chance of that happening, and people could still do that without this law. You are taking away simple things from them like getting a job because it is “a distraction”. This is not fair at all because they need simple things like this hat you aren’t permitting just because of their sexuality or change of gender.

One more problem the LGBTQ+ community is facing is that some parents aren’t supportive of them and try to “fix them”. For example, in the article Gay and lesbian rights by A. J. Smuskiewicz, it states “In some families, gay teens are taken to mental health counselors for "gay conversion therapy" in attempts to change their orientation to straight. Such therapy not only typically fails to achieve this goal, but it often causes psychological harm to the young person.” This makes them feel like something is wrong with them when there’s not. The most support you should get is coming from your parents. If you don’t feel safe or be yourself at home, it is hard to do it outside of your house when you can’t even get support from your parents. As you can tell, you can’t change who you are because it causes you to self harm yourself from the therapy that is actually the cause of this. People just need to understand that they need to accept the fact of who you are.

As a result, the LGBTQ+ community needs to receive more rights and end the bullying against these people. I expect you to make this one of your top priorities and fix this issue that is causing people not be themselves.

Sofia