JP K Georgia

Police Misconduct

Police misconduct is a serious issue, with the most controversial crimes committed on duty: murder, theft, and assault.

As the next generation of America’s voters, there are some obvious issues that are important to me as a teenager. I am tired of all the police killing civilians that were not a threat, and it does not seem like anyone is trying fix it. Police misconduct is a serious issue, and it has three different forms. However, the most controversial is the crimes they commit on duty;murder, theft, and assault.

Every seven hours an American dies at the hands of a cop. This means a life was taken because a cop was to careless to find a better solution. At this rate the police kill about 1,008 Americans every year. Are these people a “protectors”?

Did you know, that at the police academy the trainees were taught to be separated from the people? They were taught there is an us and a them. I believe that is the root of our problems. Civilians and cops should work together to defeat evil, not create it.

Police officers are indicted in less than 1% of killings, but for citizens it is 90%. Here is another problem. With this sense of power, the cops could quite possibly feel above the law because they are the law. The people also naturally fear power. People are scared to indict a cop and are biased, but naturally aren’t scared to a citizen. Naturally, with this being a hot topic this is tons of backlash. The cops are “scared” for their lives. Then again so are the civilians.

“Do not always report serious abuse by a fellow officer.” That was an actual quote from a police officer. That is why we need to learn an us mentality and that we are all on the same team. I know that you are going to get tons of letters about this topic, but I have the answer. I believe it all begins back in the police academy, and we should get the police to learn an us mentality. I feel this could be a game changer for the whole country. If that is changed there will be less killings which also means less riots. Also support both sides of the argument so they see that they understand your situation. Thank you for your time.

Yours truly,

John P. K. 

Creekland Middle School

Ms. Boyle's Class

Ms. Boyle's Class