Kelly C. Connecticut

Discrimination in the Workforce

The gender wage gap is a longstanding issue for women all over the country. Women are still being paid less than men. We're supposed to live in a country full of equality and freedom, so why should it be okay to discriminate by gender?

America had all these hopes and dreams to become an admirable and strong country, but in reality it’s falling through the cracks. This is why we need you to fix these gaps. One issue in particular that really is prominent in the lives of many Americans to this day is the gender wage gap. You’re probably more than aware of the fact that women receive eighty percent of what men earn. This is not only unfair, but also discriminatory. America stands by its beliefs, and those beliefs clearly state that we are all free and we are all equal. So why should it be fair that men get a higher salary than women just because of their gender?

Women all around the country of all different races are experiencing one common problem, that problem being inequality. This discrimination is commonly known as the gender wage gap. Women receive a smaller salary than men even though they work the same jobs and do the same amount of work. In fact, the Institute for Women’s Policy Research states that women make the most money for 4 out of 10 families, receive more college and graduate degrees than men, but yet they still earn a significantly less amount of money than men. They make 80 cents for every dollar a man makes and there’s no other way to put it, it’s completely unfair.

There once was a time, in the early 1900’s, where women stayed at home and men did all the work. This was because men seemed more fit for the jobs than women. Women eventually earned the right to work, but they never officially obtained the equality in pay. There should no longer be a separation between men and women in the workplace, especially in the 21st century. Women are fully capable, if not more, to work and better yet be successful at every kind of job in the industry. Many people may make the claim that women get paid less because they work less hours, take time off and have to care for their children. Yes this is true, women do have to go through motherhood, but is that a real fact for why women earn less, or rather a justification to protect the large business men from seeming discriminatory? Women have to experience motherhood, because of their gender, men cannot go through pregnancy so therefore they don’t have to take any time off. This is just another excuse made by men in the workforce to justify their higher salaries. A change needs to be made and it needs to be made fast. Women are not being appreciated for the hard work that they exert, instead they are being overlooked.

As a young woman myself, I plan to go on to work, and I hope the same for my future generations. These hopes are rather diminished, instead of being celebrated because of the problematic country we live in. The American Association of University Women (AAUW) states that if “change continues at the slower rate seen since 2001, women will not reach pay equality with men until 2152”. This is the sad truth for the women in this country because no matter how much hard work and effort, we still end up with a lower salary than men.

I hope you understand how big of an issue this topic is and I hope that you have a plan in the near future to lessen the discrimination between men and women in the workplace. This is a major concern for many people in this country and also a concern to me. I hope that you take this matter seriously and fight to get this issue erased. The AAUW introduces the ideas of urging companies to conduct salary audits to monitor pay differences, or for women to advocate for themselves, or fight for the Equal Pay Act.

These are all great ideas that will lead to a more equal society and an economy that women would want to be a part of. A chance to give this struggling country hope. An opportunity to start your new presidency with a successful change that will only continue to benefit America.

Thank you,

Kelly Crossman

Lewis S. Mills High School

Advanced Composition

Mrs. Mandel's Advanced Composition students write about what's meaningful to them, across disciplines, genres, and domains.