Kristina New Jersey

Native American Rights

There is a problem which is not seen. We must acknowledge Native American rights!

In the past have you ever thought about Native Americans/American Indians? What they go through daily? Or even what happens to them? Well if you answered no, I will explain. Through hundreds of years Natives have been living in America. However, as the times become more modern there is more and more discrimination between Americans and Natives. You may or may not have a stereotypical view of natives however there is still discrimination and brutality and it needs to be solved or do you want to continue to live in discrimination and tension or have a truce and live in peace? The choice is yours.

As you can see, in recent events specifically in September of 2016 there have been many events where tensions were high between Natives and Americans. For example, On September 4, 2016 Native`s were peacefully protesting the Dakota pipeline that was going through a part of their land breaking the eminent domain treaty the U.S government has with the Native`s. Do you know what the government did? They sent dogs after them. As they were peacefully protesting the government claimed that the peaceful protesters were on private property which they were not and they let dogs attack men women and children who were injured after. There are many disturbing and troublesome studies. For example, over a third of Native`s have no healthcare and have no type of intervention for drug and alcohol abuse . Perhaps the two most disturbing statistics are Native Americans have the highest suicide rate over any ethnic group in America perhaps the most heart wrenching is that the average lifespan of a Native American today is 58.

What can we do? You may be asking yourself. Well I propose many solutions. For instance, we could obey the treaty in which we broke by going on Native American land with a water pipe which result in chaos and injury to men women and children. As well, we could

change the stereotypical view that we have put out through the years and try to change the public's attitude towards the Native Americans. My final solution is to show the murders, show the brutality and maybe then people would understand why people are fighting and understand more deeply what is happening instead of being oblivious to the fact that this is happening and this is a problem in which we need too fix. What if every man and women knew what is happening. What if the media did`not try to conceal from the fact that this was happening. Maybe when people cared we would not have brutality towards the Natives!

As you can see, this is a topic I care about dearly. This is so because I am a Native child. Though I do not live on a reservation, I understand what is going on, I understand that something needs to change. For my Native ancestors who had to suffer in concentration camps. My relatives taken away from their families forced to have a different view at life. How would you feel if someone took you away from everything you ever knew in life and make you believe something aside from what you have been taught. In some words tried to change who you are. Though this story took place long ago have we seen anything change. Now we see Native`s as if they live in the middle of nowhere. As if we don't exist in the United States Of America. We exist I hope you know that as a future president you must acknowledge everyone.

Please, for Natives everywhere make something change.