Cody L. Maine

Water Pollution

This letter is about water pollution in America, and what you can do to stop it.

You should put a stop to water pollution that's destroying our oceans and our environment. Approximately 100,000 animals die of water pollution each year! 8 million children under the age of five die in the US due to the water they drink. Every year, 14 billion pounds of trash are floating and submerging under the ocean's surface each year! 

One of the problems that you have to fix is oil spills. Oil spills are a serious problem here in the United States. 7.7% of oil ends up in the ocean or on marine life. When the oil gets on animals, it weighs them down and they eventually cannot move and sink the bottom of the ocean. Over a couple of days, the oil spreads throughout more parts of the general area of where the spill happened. More animals will die and sink to the bottom if they come in contact or touch this deadly fluid. These innocent animals cannot inhale any oil or factory product or they will slowly but surely start to decay and die. Oil spills can also destroy animals' homes and habitats under the water. It forces the animals to swim from the oil spill, and start to build another safe and secure environment.

In the past couple of years, as you may know, Flint, Michigan has had water problems. This catastrophe was caused by water corrosion, (which is lead) in the rivers' pipes, causing the towns people to have lead poisoning. According to New York Times Magazine, many Flint families were using the town's water for showering, washing dishes, and also for drinking. People were getting sick daily, as Flints governor was doing nothing, nothing at all to help the poor people of Flint, suffer through these past couple of weeks. Kids and parents were getting tested as hours go on throughout days and weeks. Testers found high levels of lead in parents, but not as much as their kids. Volunteers were willing to help by bring in fresh water everyday for the people in need. If you don't do something soon to stop this madness, it could just keep on going and flowing through rivers, and maybe leak into streams and local ponds.

Another problem in the United States is The Great Pacific Garbage Patch. This is in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, approximately 100 kilometers north of Hawaii. The Garbage Patch is about 7.7 million tons of trash. It is made up of litter and debris. A huge current makes the garbage float and stay in one big pile of gunk. How does all of this trash get there? Well, most countries have boats and a place to dump trash, too close to the sea. Trash eventually blows away and floats out into the middle of the Pacific. If any marine life goes near, or into the current, it will most likely never come out. It wouldn't ever come out because of how strong the currents are underneath the surface (which is called a rip current) The debris and all the garbage in the patch will probably kill or severely injure the sea animals. Mostly, sea turtles mistake plastic bags and wrappers for jellyfish and other human materials for food! This is not healthy for the animals' habitat, and their environment. 

This is why you should put a stop to water pollution that's destroying our oceans, and our very own environment.

Cody L.