Kate Maine

Bullying in schools.

Bullying in schools is a very important issue we need to resolve. In this letter I discuss how victims are affected and how we can fix it.

Bullying occurs more at school than it occurs out of school. 70.6% of young people say they have seen bullying in their school. 20 to 30% of students who are bullied notify adults. You need to help solve this problem that has killed and/or permanently scarred bully victims for life. 

Bullying in schools could affect school life/education. If kids don't go to school because they are afraid of a bully, they won’t get any knowledge. If they are thinking about what they’ve just experienced(what the bully has said or done) or if the bully’s words get into their head while they’re having a test or doing work then they will be distracted and likely not do well on their work. According to stopbullying.gov, most bullying takes place in school, outside on school grounds, and on the school bus.

Bullying in schools can also lead to deeper issues or concerns down the road. Being bullied can make people develop some social or anxiety disorders. The website stopbullying.gov says that out of 12 of 15 school shooting cases in the 1990’s, the shooters had a history of being bullied. Most bullying in schools again take place outside, in school, and on the bus. Bullying that happens outside of school can force people to hide in their room. Some kids are afraid that they could run into a bully anywhere so they prefer to stay inside. Most kids don't want to step up or face the bully. Now I'm not saying some don’t, studies show that those who do seemed more mature and were better behaved in class. It would just be easier with no bully though. Bullies can change someone's life, sometimes in a good way but most times in a bad way. Standing up to the bully can give you some self-confidence, but most decide to just do/say nothing. Those who say nothing can end up having suicidal thoughts and/or social or anxiety disorders.

I think there should be a counselor or someone helpful at every school and make them talk to them and feel like they’re in a safe and comfortable environment. If that doesn’t work I would talk to a friend or teacher if you don’t feel comfortable talking to an adult.I strongly believe that solving this issue that has taken lives, it will create better lives, happier people, and a better community.

Kate T.