Mary J. Maine

College Tuition

The problem with college tuition and how it is affecting young adults.

Before I start this letter, I just wanted to say congratulations. 

It is important that college students get the education they need and the jobs they plan on achieving and working at. But as you may know, there is a big problem in the U.S. about college tuition. Some may think college is such a great place, and yes it is, but college students are losing sleep, not passing in work, and here Is why. This is why it is important that you lower college prices.

Most young adults won't go to college or wonโ€™t graduate due to cost. According to http://www.nytimes.com  private colleges prices used to be around $4,000 a year, back forty years ago (1974). But now it's risen to $32,000 and for public college it is now about $9,400 a year unless you're going to a college out of state, then it would add up to $23,800.

One theory is that students are turning in work unfinished, or not passing work in at all because they are so stressed out. According to Ohio State University, 70% of nearly 19,000 students surveyed and said that they were most stressed out about their finances. 6 in 10 were worried about tuition cost, and half were stressed about passing in work and getting high grades. About a third of college students said that money worries them so much, that it led them to neglect their school work, and nearly the same number cut back on their class load because they were worried about their debts. 

Fewer people aren't able to buy a home. According to http://www.onlineuniversities.com only 57% of people between 25 and 44 own a house today, a 4% decrease since 1980. As tuition rises students are forces to take out bigger loans to pay for school, fewer young people are able to fulfill the life as owning their own home. 

While it may be true that college is a great place and young adults get all the education they need, college tuition is an actual problem in the U.S. and we need to do something as one to lower it.

Mary J.