Daniel T. Maine

Climate Change

California has gone through one of the worst droughts that the world has ever seen. No one wants to live in a bone dry wasteland where water can only be found on rare occurrences.

Climate change is a problem and you need to do more to solve it. One idea that supports the fact that climate change is a problem is, the rate that the oceans are rising. The ocean level will over take places such as Florida and New Orleans. In the past 20 years, the ocean has risen over 84 mm. Every year it goes up an average of 3.4 mm. It may be moving slowly but every inch adds up. Some skeptics say that global warming isn't a thing and its all just a myth. They’re wrong, researchers from NASA have come out and said “Ninety-seven percent of climate scientists agree that climate-warming trends over the past century are very likely due to human activities, and most of the leading scientific organizations worldwide have issued public statements endorsing this position.” 

Another reason is the average surface temperature of the earth is rising. The top 10 hottest years have happened in the last 12 years the two years that saw a drop in temperature were 2007-2009. Every other year the average temperature has gone up even if it a little bit. The average temperature has gone up 1.4º since 1980. 

Lastly, the biggest problem of all is droughts. Droughts have the power to destroy cities and leave people without the most important nutrient, water. Droughts dry land and make it unsustainable for plants to grow. When plants can't grow they became scarce and prices go up. No one wants to pay ten dollars for carrots. Another example is cities that are in a droughts have to watch out how much water they use so they don't run out. I live in a place that doesn't have to worry about drought but I iknow that no one wants to live in a drought area. This is why climate change is a problem and you as the next president have to do something to solve it.

Daniel