Kavi P. Michigan

Innocent lives are being lost every day and we need you help.

I think the biggest problem right now is gun control. According to the article, "Guns in the US: The statistics behind the violence," “Some 13,286 people were killed in the US by firearms in 2015,” and “26,819 people were injured.” I know this topic is one that you always talk about, but I think it should be resolved during your presidency. This violence is caused because there are too many bad people getting their hands on guns, so I think we should check to see if the person buying a gun has any problems with their health and there should be stricter gun laws and control on what guns can and cannot be bought and

First of all, I want to say that I don’t think guns shouldn’t be in American’s hands, but I think we could limit the “23 million checks [that] were processed through the National Instant Background Check System in 2015.” When I hear about a shooting, it happens because the person that is doing the shootings has some mental illness/problem. We need to check the health of every person that buys a gun. If they have some illness, they should not be able to buy a gun.

I also think we should not be selling assault and automatic rifles in gun stores. According to, "The truth about 'assault weapons,'" Americans own about 20-30 million assault rifles. There is so much potential for someone to do something bad with these guns.

Hopefully, this has convinced you to think about gun control and will hopefully move you towards solidifying America by checking the health of those who buy guns and create a stricter ban on selling assault weapons. Thank you.

Kavi Patel

Citations:

BBC News. "Guns in the US: The Statistics behind the Violence." BBC News. BBC, 5 Jan. 2016. Web. 2 Nov. 2016.

Goal. "The Truth About “Assault Weapons”." Goal. Gun Owners' Action League, June 2016. Web. 2 Nov. 2016.

Gutowski, Stephen. "2015: The Year of the Gun." The Washington Free Beacon. The Washington Free Beacon, 4 Jan. 2016. Web. 2 Nov. 2016.

LaFraniere, Sharon, Sarah Cohen, and Richard A. Oppel, Jr. "How Often Do Mass Shootings Occur? On Average, Every Day, Records Show." The New York Times. The New York Times Company, 2 Dec. 2015. Web. 2 Nov. 2016.

NBC News Staff. "Just the Facts: Gun Violence in America." NBCNews. NBC News, 16 Jan. 2013. Web. 2 Nov. 2016.

Okemos High School

Youth Voices

Sharing our ideas with Youth Voices: http://www.youthvoices.live/ and Letters to the Next President 2.0