Obed D. Massachusetts

Immigration

Immigration

Dear, Mr / Ms. President

My name is Obed Delvoix and I live in Boston MA I am 15 years old and I want to inform you about the issue ofimmigration. For the vast majority of undocumented immigrants there is no “line” available. As the Immigration Policy Center points out, most undocumented immigrants lack the necessary family relationships to apply for legal entry, and those who do face years or decades waiting for a visa.

For America’s enormous economy, current limitations on the number of total green cards available are unreasonable. Even if a prospective immigrant meets green card requirements, the wait can be everlasting, according to the Immigration Policy Center. And I also want to inform about the illegal immigrants in this the United States but you shouldn't send them away ( as throw them out ) and send them back to their country because we are going to destroy / terrorize  families. There are currently 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States. People move to make life better for themselves and their families.

We need an immigration system that recognizes the hardships and contributions of people moving here, keeps families together here in this country, and creates a rational process of citizenship for new Americans. That will do more for the United States than expensive and impractical approaches like trying to deport millions of people or trying to wall off a 2,000-mile border. Those 11 million immigrants that are in the United States we shouldn't deport them as I said we should work with them and register them as citizens & yes you should do background checks on all immigrants. 

I also want to say why putting people in immigration detention is unfair. Liberty should be the norm for everyone, and detention the last resort. In the overwhelming majority of immigration cases, detention is not necessary to effect deportations and does not make us any safer. Among those unnecessarily locked up are survivors of torture, asylum seekers, victims of trafficking, families with small children, the elderly, individuals with serious medical and mental health conditions, and lawful permanent residents with longstanding family and community ties who are facing deportation because of old or minor crimes. The lock-up system is a massive waste of taxpayer dollars, costing $2 billion a year. Detainees are also exposed to myriad abuses—from a lack of adequate medical and mental health care that has caused unnecessary deaths to rape and sexual assault. 

Sincerely Obed Delvoix

November 1 2016