Abby Michigan

Child Abuse

This letter is about the different kinds of child abuse and ways we should stop it.

I want to inform you about child abuse. There are 5 types of child abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, substance abuse, and neglect. I’m only going to inform you on 4 of these kinds. I believe that child abuse and neglect is wrong.

First, physical abuse is when a person physically hurts a child. Physical abuse includes tying a child up, starving a child, or throwing something at a child. Physical abuse is usually the kind that comes to mind when you think about child abuse. Kids who have been abused may have problems for the rest of their lives. For example, kids can get Abusive Head Trauma. This is caused by dropping or throwing a child or shaking a baby.

Second, emotional abuse is when a person says very negative things to a child. This includes ignoring a child, not giving the child the amount of support it needs. Emotional abuse is the most common form of abuse. In a way physical and emotional abuse is like bullying.

Third, substance abuse is when a person uses drugs to the point that the child is in danger or having the child take drugs. If you take drugs during pregnancy, that’s child abuse. Fetal Alcohol Syndrome is when a mother that is pregnant takes drugs. When the child is born they have birth defects. According to Kids Health organization, birth defect is when a baby is born with disabilities or surgeries.

Finally, neglect is when the caregiver doesn’t give a child the things the child needs to grow. Examples of neglect are failing to provide things a child needs, locking a child in a closet or room, or putting a child in a dangerous situation. Abandonment is a type of neglect.

I believe that we should teach kids around the world about child abuse. Why? If we teach kids around the world about child abuse, they will know when say no and when to say yes to things. Also, we need more than a “mandatory report law”. We should have a law that after the report the person who had called, (as long as they have proof) the person who was doing the child abuse should have a punishment.

Abby