Kim Iowa

LGBTQ Alliance

We need to work together to help give the LGBTQ Alliance more rights.

Dear President of the United States,

Congratulations on your victory and thank you for wanting to help our nation. Although America is a great country, there are many not so great issues facing our nation. One of these issues that means a lot to me because my friends have to deal with it every day is LGBTQ rights. I know this situation isn't as bad as it used to be and perhaps there are more important matters to deal with; however, I hope you will take a little time to read my letter and take my position into consideration.

Most gay people are afraid of coming out of the closet because of how people will react. Not very many people are truly supportive of their gay friends. In some cases, when a kid comes out to their parents, their parents will disown them or try to change them. This really bothers me because even if your child turns out to be different, you should still love them no matter what. Also, you can’t change a person; they are who they are.

As our chief citizen, I hope you can get the message across that everyone is equal, and each individual deserves just as much as the next person. The United States needs to do more to protect the people who are part of the LGBTQ Alliance. I believe that we need to show everyone that they are equal and you can’t just turn someone down because they aren’t like you. We also need to stop trying to shove religion down their throats. Yes, maybe homosexuality goes against your religion, but when people try to force someone to change due to religious beliefs, that goes against our 1st Amendment rights under our Constitution.

I just want people to be happy and free, which is what America is supposed to stand for. People need to realize when others are happy they are too. As I always say, “Do what makes you happy, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.” The LGBTQ doesn't hurt anyone; they just want to be happy and free. 

Thank you for reading my letter, and good luck running our country!

Kimberly L.