Devon F. Michigan

Racial Profiling

Racial profiling is Issue in the U.S. It needs to be fixed right away because different races are going to be thrown in jail for being themselves.

Racial profiling is Issue in the U.S. It needs to be fixed right away because different races are going to be thrown in jail for being themselves. White people can't just assume because somebody's black or any other race are up to no good. Racial profiling is when law enforcement and private security target people of color. This problem needs to be stopped because all people should be treated equally and fairly.

Minorities are being not only stopped and given traffic violations, they are also getting shot. According to civilrights.org, “Black drivers (4.5%) were twice as likely as White drivers (2.1%) to be arrested during a traffic stop, while Hispanic drivers (65%) were more likely than White (56.2%) or Black (55.8%) drivers to receive a ticket. In addition, Whites (9.7%) were more likely than Hispanics (5.9%) to receive a written warning, while Whites (18.6%) were more likely than Blacks (13.7%) to be verbally warned by police." When it came to searching minority motorists after a traffic stop, "Black (9.5%) and Hispanic (8.8%) motorists stopped by police were searched at higher rates than Whites (3.6%). These numbers prove that racial profiling is real and it exists in U.S. An example of racial profiling in Minnesota is a guy and his friends being pulled over by a police officer because he felt like they had a stolen vehicle and they proved him wrong by showing him his licence and the cars insurance but he still proceeded to arrest them and when he asked why he was getting arrested the officer said “Because I feel like it”. This example is just one of many racial profiles that happen in the U.S.

Racial profiling is unconstitutional and therefore, illegal. An example of racial profiling is the stop-and-frisk program. The stop-and-frisk program isn't working because 9 out of 10 times they don't find anything There just doing based on their color. It should be stopped because it will divide the country and may start a war between races.

Some effects of racial profiling lead countless people to live in fear. They are fearful of being harassed and humiliated by law enforcement for no reason other than the color of their skin. It’s changing their behavior. They shouldn't be in fear because The Supreme Court said that racial profiling is unconstitutional and all people should be giving equal protection from the law.

Thank You,

Devon F.

@ACLU. “Racial Profiling.” American Civil Liberties Union, www.aclu.org/issues/racial-justice/race-and-criminal-justice/racial-profiling.

Agencies, By Federal Law Enforcement. “The Reality of Racial Profiling.” The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, www.civilrights.org/publications/reports/racial-profiling2011/the-reality-of-racial.html

https://letters2president.org/search?query=racial+profiling

Northview High School

3rd Hour

Mrs. Pitt's 3rd hour 9th grade English students.