liam Michigan

Police Brutality

I think police brutality is a problem.

The biggest issue in America right now is police brutality. This is a an issue because often times police kill innocent people and get away with it or only getting minor punishments. Where, if anyone else ever did that they would probably get life in prison. There are many possible causes for this issue such as no trust between police officers and the public.

According to T.C. Sottek from 2002 to 2011, 350,000 arrests were made in New York for minor drug charges. 86% were black or Latino. Not because black or Latino people use more drugs but because white police officers target darker skinned people. Then if the police even think they may have a weapon, the use excessive force. I don't like thinking that people get treated differently because of the color of their skin.

Another issue with police brutality is that people are too scared of police because of what has happened in other places and they are to scared to listen to police when they get pulled over and so then the police use excessive force. Another issue is during protests police use excessive force thinking it will stop the protests and it makes them worse.

One possible cause of this issue is Police officers thinking that they don’t have to follow the same laws that they enforce. Police think they can break the law and get away with it and often they do because they know that they can claim self-defense, and they can get away with killing people who may be innocent.

The only way to stop police brutality is to make police go through more training such as dealing with different kinds of cultures and people and making more trust with others. Also you can't just let anyone become a police officer there should be more restrictions. This is how I feel about police brutality. I hope you can fix this big problem in the United States.

Sincerely.

Liam Wood

"The Verge." The Verge. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Nov. 2016