allyson m. Michigan

LGBT Rights

I care about LGBT people, and I care about their rights.

My name is Allyson McCoy, but I usually go by Ally for short, I prefer it. I'm 14 and a Freshman this year, turning 15 in December. You might not read this, my voice might not be heard, but if you are reading this, please listen to what I have to say. My topic is on LGBT Rights. I chose this topic because I strongly care about them, and I care about their rights. I have friends that are LGBT, I watch Youtubers that are LGBT, I am surrounded by the love, and that shouldn't be something to be against.

The issue makes me sad and makes me want to help, but I can’t change it all. If I see the issue happening around me, at my school or while I’m out, I will help. Only you can help the rest. Personally, I am not a hateful person, if someone says to me “I hate gays”, I won’t hate them, I will feel bad for them. People need to realize that hatred doesn’t solve anything, it only makes things worse.

Conflict is caused by the people that are strongly against LGBT people, they discriminate them and look at them like they're pieces of garbage. People around the world are kicked out of their jobs for being LGBT, or some end up quitting the job because of all of the discrimination that goes on at the job. More laws need to be enforced and added to stop discrimination. Kids that are LGBT are 4x more likely to attempt suicide than straight kids. They often suffer with depression and anxiety due to the abuse that they get towards them for what they look like and who like love. People, especially kids, should not be so beat on to the point of taking their own life, it needs to stop.

According to www.hrw.org.com, people around the world face violence and inequality - and sometimes torture, even execution, because of who they love, how they look, or who you are. Sexual orientation and gender identity are integral aspects of ourselves and should never lead to discrimination or abuse. Human Rights Watch works for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people’s rights, and with activists representing a multiplicity of identities and issues.

I want everyone to feel loved. I want everyone to feel like they are free to love whoever they want without feeling “small” or “confused”. I really don’t think anyone, not even you, can change the minds of every person standing in the United States, but you can make some sort of difference. You can make a change in how people act towards LGBT. You can stop the unnecessary discrimination towards the innocent people just trying to live their lives. We can rip people’s hands off of them and stop the violence. 

Northview High School

3rd Hour

Mrs. Pitt's 3rd hour 9th grade English students.