Haylee Georgia

LGBTQ+

This paper is about discrimination towards the LGBTQ+ community and how to stop it.

For years people in the LGBTQ+ community have had bullying, hate crimes, and loss of rights all happen to them just because of who they are. Just because they are different.This is a huge problem faced by thousands of people around the world, and it's about time we do something about it. It’s about time we accept people. If not around the world at least for our country, so we can be as “free” like we portray ourselves as.

First of all, hundreds of teens are bullied everyday for being in the LGBTQ+ community. This is even shown in videos, stories, movies, and articles around social media, which could also influence it. In the article “Gay And Lesbian Rights” by A.J Smuskiewicz ,it states,“A substantial proportion of gay teens drop out of high school because of discomfort stemming from verbal or physical abuse.” This shows that bullying around schools doesn't just wear off. It leaves a mark, and that mark can eventually cause tragic outcomes.

Secondly, hate crimes have been made towards the LGBTQ+ community. “Hate crimes are a category of crime in which the victim is targeted because of who they are or what they believe” according to the article “Hate Crimes” by Karen Garvey. Hundreds of people in the LGBTQ+ community have been murdered just because of who they are or identify as. They have been murdered and hurt at parades, gatherings, etc., places where they are suppose to feel comfort. This has caused many people to be scared to come out, leading them to feel trapped and unwanted. As a result, there is sometimes disturbing outcomes like alcohol/drug abuse, suicide,etc. Therefore, attempting to stop hate crimes would somewhat show the LGBTQ+ community that they are wanted and that we do care about them.

Although there are many more serious problems, we also need to focus on solutions to them. Almost everyday at my school, I hear an unpleasant remark about someone being in the LGBTQ+ community or the community itself. I have witnessed people constantly bully others who are open about being in this community, and it’s extremely disturbing. We NEED to fix these problems. Although there are huge amounts of bullying, there are also many people who comfort and accept them, which leads me to one suggestion of a solution, to create a LGBTQ+ support group for every school. Not only will this help them have support, but it also gives them a chance to meet new friends, share experiences, and help others who may have a few things in common with them.

Personally, I know plenty of people in the LGBTQ+ community so the fact that people in this world think that they should be killed, shouldn’t have the same rights as straight people, or should be bullied disgusts me. No one should be hurt for being different. No one should be discriminated because of who they love. No one should be hated because they’re being themselves. No one should feel like they have to hide in the dark just because they live in a country that portrays itself as free, but actually can’t accept people for who they are. Please try to address this common problem that impacts people everyday, for you are the new president. 

Haylee L.