Brandon M. Wisconsin

Abolish Death Penalty

The death penalty does more harm than good. The government should not have the right to take a life, it is not fair to pass a flawed system. You should help America be a pure country and stop this injustice to innocent people.

Hello president, im thankful to get this opportunity to talk to you today and i want to talk about an issue that is widely debated upon and that is the Death Penalty, i really don't agree with this system at all and i think that it should be abolished!

I am very aware that the death penalty was put in place for reasons such as that it would cost a lot less money to kill off an inmate rather than to feed him and comfort him when he or she is on life without parole. I understand that it maybe some people think if someone murders someone else that it should be okay to take their life in return. I get this, but a study from Time Magazine has shown that "New research finds that almost four percent of U.S. capital punishment sentences are wrongful convictions, almost double the number of people set free, meaning around 120 of the roughly 3,000 inmates on death row in America are not guilty" from the study it really shows that America has been putting more innocent people to death than ever before! I actually kind of agree with the death penalty BUT the system is not perfect, it really isn't, and i know some people are really bad and did really horrible things and should be put to death, but on the other side there are innocent lives that are taken within the penalty, the death penalty is as worse as those murderers! The Death Penalty is a flawed system, therefore it should be abolished.

Sincerely, Brandon M.

Wauwatosa West High School

Wauwatosa West American Public Policy

All juniors are enrolled in a required civics and public policy course called American Public Policy. The capstone project is the Issue Investigation - students identify an issue that can be solved by the creation, modification, elimination of a public policy. Student letters are their first research step in the Issue Investigation process.