Sean L. Michigan

Student Sleep

Students require more sleep.

Students fall asleep in class due to many reasons including lack of sleep. My name is Sean and I am a senior in high school. When in class sometimes I see friends of mine or other students falling asleep during class. According to a “Teen Vouge” article written by Liza Featherstone, the author reported high school students in Connecticut claimed it wasn’t their fault they were falling asleep during class and failing early morning exams because they were overly tired. Schools should start later because students require more sleep to focus in class which will lead to better test scores.

Studies also show how lack of sleep for students can also contribute to depression in some cases. According to Howard Markel, a New York times writer of the article “Lack of sleep takes toll on student Psyches” it shows that sleep deprivation contributes to depression in students. His study followed Miss Waller, a college student who stayed up all night and skipped classes.She found it very difficult to concentrate on school work because she wasn’t sleeping and soon became depressed and had to leave school.There is a quote that stood out to me and here it is Dr. John F. Greden chairman of the psychiatry department at university of Michigan said:”We have pretty good evidence that staying up late all night and then trying to catch up with an erratic schedule of naps quickly creates a situation called delayed sleep phase insomnia.This the kiss of death for mood regulation.” That is more likely from lack of sleep.It proves my topic that sleep can effect students mood and the way thier sleep schedule could get messed up.

If students are sleep deprived they are more likely to get into car accidents. There was a study conducted that compared car accidents and sleep habits in students. It is an article written by Eric Nagourney he wrote it on the New York Times. He reported, “when school officials in Lexington KY, decided to push back the start of middle school and high school by an hour two things happened, the students reported getting more sleep and traffic accidents involving teenagers went down.”It proves that sleep deprivation can cause car accidents in teens and is mainly because of their sleep.And it proves my topic sentence that students should be getting more sleep.My evidence proves my topic by saying students that are sleep deprived could cause car accidents while driving.

Just by starting school 1hour later things can change positively.My call to action is to is to start school later than it already does.And to get rid of the early start all together.I hope everyone would be getting more sleep and that everyone will feel like they got the sleep they nedded.

Sean