Courtney H. Nevada

Transgender Rights in America

Individual rights are being infringed upon due to individuality, but supposedly we're united?

As a natural born citizen of the United States of America, I'd like to point out a few rights that I believe everyone living in the country should be deemed worthy of including members of the LGBT committee. Recently our “Land of the Free” hasn't been treating certain individuals too freely. One of the important matters to address this election is that of the Transgender Bathroom Bill policy that has been being disgusted all around the nation. Many citizens have been having their rights infringed upon by state governments and although the Federal government has issued a bill stating these rights be given to the persons, the state disagrees.
 Last month a judge in Texas rejected the Obama administration's request to allow transgender students in schools to use the bathroom/locker rooms with which gender they identify as. While Judge O'Connor claims his ruling would have little to no impact on the states that don’t have gender laws set in place, he states that for those school districts that set rules for themselves, it woulds be their call whether they would allow the students to use the bathroom they identify with or not. “Should the court only limit the injunction to the plaintiff states who are a party to this cause of action , the Court risks a ‘substantial likelihood that a geographically limited injection would be ineffective.”

Alongside O'Connor's argument, many parents discussed their uncomfort with the fed's decision to allow transgender students the freedom to choose their preferred facility. They feel as if the girls at Atherton High School in Kentucky will no longer have the ability to use the bathroom without feeling safe due to a fellow classmate who recently came out as a Male to Female transgender. One parent spoke out saying “young ladies, girls, may not want a biological male in their bathroom. Thats kind of the traditional way we have done things since the founding of this nation.” This, being the first case at the high school, has made many feel as if the whole situation is just a huge misconception. 

The individual who now identifies as a female, who prefers to be called Maddie at this point has been the inaugural trend setter for the district and she not only brought her change about for herself but also for others in her position. She claims being open about her situation makes her a target for harassment and other vicious acts of violence against her. She states “It puts in everyone’s mind that you're different , and that you are something to be looked at, not as, like a person, but whatever characteristic is differentiating you, like being trans.”
Now, as a member of this glorious place we call home, The United States as we know it, I ask, for one, is this justified? And if you claim so, how would this be a sense of unity? If we look at people as less of a human because they differ from others. This is where my question comes back into play, future Mr./Mrs. President , we’ve come a long way as a nation to be able to even consider a women as a presidential candidate and we’ve also made it to a day and age where all marriage is legal between whomever, so I ask, if we are the land of the free and the brave, why are we still fearing what we don’t quite know? Why is it that these people who are just as entitled to individual rights as any other person is are being prosecuted against because someone else is offended or uncomfortable with the idea of individuality and difference of character? Since when has it ever been morally ok to make someone feel as if they are not allowed to express themselves in any way they see fit because another person has separate ideals? When will this country find compassion and realize this is a new era, this is a free country. It's time we start acting like it.

So i guess my concluding question would be, what would you as a president, an executive order, a leader of this free flowing ship, have to offer this contradicting topic? What would you do in order to make sure every American is proud to be one? And lastly, will we as citizens be proud to call you our president because of it?

Yours truly,

Courtney

Gerstein, By Josh. "Judge Reaffirms Nationwide Ban on Obama Transgender School Bathroom Policy." POLITICO. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.

"As Transgender Teens Struggle, Here’s How One Kentucky School Leads the Way." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 03 Nov. 2016.