Tanner F. Nevada

Transgender Bathroom Policy Epidemic.

The transgender bathroom policy is a growing issue in the U.S. Transgenders are uncomfortable using public bathroom facility's because of the fear they have about being harassed or physically abused for there life decisions.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President

I would like to take a minute to discuss a very important issue that we are currently having in the U.S I would like to talk to you in the U.S I would like to talk to you about Transgender bathroom policies. I believe that it is an extremely important topic to discuss because their is a growing population in America of people who have different gender Identities. Some of the facts are extremely astounding and sad.

According to the article “Transgender an umbrella term meaning that sex and gender do not match” you are more likely to be transgender then you are to be a triplet or to be struck by lightning. Another sad fact is that 1 out of 2 transgender people attempt suicide by age 20 because of all the abuse and harassment they get from people who can't accept them for who they are. The reason I personally believe this is such a big issue is because transgender people are not being treated fairly and they don't even feel comfortable enough to use the restroom facilities in public, because of the fear they have about if someone is going to get offended by them or get harassed. If you think about it on average the typical person goes to the restroom anywhere from 4 to 7 minutes a day about 4 to 6 times a day. That's anywhere from to 16 o 42 minutes of your day. 42 minutes a day out of 1,440 minutes a day that means that you spend 1,398 minutes a day not in the bathroom.

My question then remains, why is there such a big issue in the U.S about what bathroom a transgender person use’s. There has to be a big federal case because of simple minded people who can’t accept the fact that there are transgender people all around us and that we may not agree with their life decision but we have to accept it and move on. It is not fair to transgender people that they can’t use a bathroom in public without being stared at or called names or even physically abused, because of judgmental people. 

In the article “Judge reaffirms nationwide ban on Obama transgender school bathroom policy”. A federal judge in Texas has rejected president Obama’s request to “allow transgender students to use bathrooms and locker rooms corresponding to their gender identity.” In the article U.S. government, N.C. file opposing lawsuits over “Bathroom Bill” Attorney general Loretta E. Lynch. Says “This is about the dignity and respect we accord our fellow citizens and the laws that we, as a people and as a country, have enacted to protect them.” I agree that we as the country need to protect transgender people and that is is about our dignity and respect that we should have for them to stand up and protect them so they are not getting bullied and harassed. 

Everyday in society gays, lesbians and bisexual's use the bathroom in public and never do they get criticized or judged or physically harassed. Now how is that fair that we can pick and choose who we want to bully for using the bathroom? It isn’t okay. 

The likelihood of anyone being able to pick a transgender person out of a group of transgender and straight people is slim to none. So if we cannot tell that someone is either a transgender or a straight person using the bathroom then why do have to try to pick them out of a group of people to harass them. Some people might say that they chose to be harassed by choosing to be a transgender. That’s a lie. It is just like wearing a sweater that is tight and itchy and uncomfortable. You don’t want to wear it do you? Most likely not that is the exact same way that a transgender person is feeling. They feel that something is not right and they are wearing this metaphorical sweater that just doesn’t fit and that is uncomfortable. It is not who they feel they are so why should they have to live a lie. 

Thank you mr./mrs president to take the time and read my letter about transgender bathroom policies. I hope you will take what I have said into consideration and fix this growing problem we are having in the U.S.

Sincerely: Tanner Fox

Gerstein, Josh. "Judge Reaffirms Nationwide Ban on Obama Transgender School Bathroom Policy." Http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/obama-transgender-school-bathrooms-texas-judge-ruling-229973. N.p., 19 Oct. 2016. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.

"U.S. Government. N.C. File Opposing Lawsuits over "bathroom Bill"" Washington Post, 11 May 2016. Web. 7 Nov. 2016.

"Transgender: An Umbrella Term Meaning Sex and Gender Do Not Match." Http://visual.ly/transgender. N.p., n.d. Web. 2 Nov. 2016.

Damonte Ranch High School

1st Period

Dramatic Literature. 11th and 12th Grade students.