Babbles1335 North Dakota

Polar Bears' Fate is in Our Hands

The polar bears are dying. We must defend their future.

I don’t know if you know this, but the polar bears are going down. Into the ocean, that is. There are multiple problems happening to these animals, and we need to face them.

First, global warming is melting Arctic sea ice, where polar bears live. Polar bears are great swimmers, but they aren’t fish! They hunt seals on the ice, but if they’re forced onto land, they won’t be able to hunt.

Second, there are only 19 sub-populations, one of which is decreasing in population, and nine whose data is insufficient. We don’t know what's going on with half of the polar bears! What if there are more decreasing that we don’t know about?

Third, in 2008, polar bears were added to the endangered list. There are only about 25,000 bears, which may sound like a lot, but it isn’t. In fact, polar bears’ reproductive rate is the lowest, ever. That means there are more dying than being born. Scientists say that 2/3 of the polar bear population could disappear within this century.

As you can see, we need to act fast if we want to save the polar bears. Let’s raise awareness, get research going, and build sanctuaries!  If we don't act now, we may not get another opportunity.

Sincerely and with hope,

Babbles