Kirolos S. Tennessee

The Issue of Police Brutality

This letter talks about the issue of police brutality and how it should be solved.

Dear, the future president of the United States

My name is Kirolos Saleh, a student at STEM Prep High. I would like to present an issue that is clearly visible and is occurring right now. Many policemen in the field abuse their power and do not always have a rightful reason to assume that someone is going against the law. This, in some cases, is connected to racism and the association with the African American race as dangerous and unpredictable. This has caused many killings of young African Americans. This caused their families to grief and to have to deal with losing a loved one to a police officer for no reason because it was assumed that they were “carrying a firearm”. The amount of African American killings has increased over the years. In the article, “ Police Shooting Statistics 2016: Are More Black People Killed By Officers Than Other Races?”, the text states “Of the 990 people who were killed by police officers in 2015, the Washington Post reported 258 of them were black. So far in 2016, there have been 708 documented deaths in police shootings, 173 of which have resulted the deaths of African-Americans”. In addition, “The Post, which has been collecting data and public records on police shootings throughout the country since last year, reported 325 white people and 111 Hispanics have been shot and killed by police so far in 2016. Of the 708 deaths reported, the races of 27 of those kills were described as other, and the races of 72 of the deceased are still unknown. The majority of the police shootings have been of men, which account for 679 of the deaths reported”. As a result, these statistics show the unconditional of more African Americans being killed than any other race. Therefore, so I propose a change in police laws and precautions that they must take to understand whether or not they can shoot at a suspect. This is an utmost important issue because if we continue to treat certain races like they are inferior to others it will just be a repeat of history.

Sincerely, Kirolos Saleh

Source used: (www.ibtimes.com/police-shooting-statistics-2016-are-mo)   

STEM Prep High School

STEM Prep High School: Nashville

The Graduating Class of 2024.