Nick J. Illinois

Increasing College Costs

With college costs increasing, the debt gets bigger. We need to change that.

I am almost currently a freshman in highschool and it is about to be the time to start looking for colleges, but costs of college have increased largely since 1971. Back then it was around $1,500. But it increased by about 400% since then according to College data, college costs about $32,405 for private colleges, $9,410 for state residents at public colleges, and $23,893 for out-of-state residents attending public universities in the 2016 school year.

According to student loan hero americans owe nearly $1.3 trillion in student loan debt. In fact, the average class of 2016 graduate has $37,172 in student loan debt. That is a lot for one student. Now add that with the amount of students in one college, the one state, then the country. It is a lot to pay off isn’t it. According to Carly M. the average cost for 4-5 college textbooks is nearly $1,300 a year. Why would anyone want to pay for that when we have the internet. Think about it no more ruined textbooks that schools need to replace about every year. And if you leave it in your dorm you can pull up the information on the computer. Sometimes textbooks are just a way to make more money.

According to average joe, the average family makes $32,000 a year. Subtract that from taxes, mortgage, food, water, and clothes you may not have enough left for college. How do you expect us to pay off almost $37,000 and still need money for life. Examples are food, water, marriages, kids, housing and other necessities.

Colleges, Universities, and other forms of them are too expensive for the average family. What you can do if try to pass a law that colleges can go to a certain limit. Over time that $1.3 trillion could change drastically.

Nick J

Gurrie Middle School

5-6 LaBud ELA

5-6 LaBud ELA