Lauren B. Texas

Why We Need to Lower Adoption Fees!

Sure, adoption isn't quite on the list of most important issues in the United States right now, but it could be later. We must stop putting prices on 400,000 and more children who all just want a loving family.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

When you came home from the hospital with your newborn child, did you ever consider how much you would spend on them? Of course not, you were very happy and welcoming your new baby into the world. Imagine you finally got home and had paid the eight-thousand, eight hundred and two dollar fee from the hospital. Then suddenly, a tax collector waltzes into your home leisurely and says, “That’ll be an extra four-hundred thousand dollars. I’ll have that whenever you’re ready.” What would your reaction be? You just had a child! Why should you have to pay for a child? Biological children only “cost” eight-thousand, eight hundred and two dollars. In stark comparison, adopted children “cost” forty-thousand and or extra dollars. There are currently 2,058,915 adopted children or adults in America now, with 400,000+ more to go. You shouldn’t place a enormous fee on a child that just wants a loving family.

Children, no matter the age, shouldn’t come with a fee at all. Sure, the cost to take care of them costs money, but the child themselves should not. Adoption shouldn’t be like purchasing property, which could be classified as discriminating against orphans. It currently costs twenty-thousand to forty-thousand or more dollars in different types of fees, and have even raised recently. Even if we did stick with the ridiculous price, many people would stop adopting in general because the price is simply too high to adopt more than one child. Some parents who want to adopt cannot because they don’t have enough money to pay the adoption bills.

This causes the orphan population to grow, and children do not get the guidance, love and special attention from a loving family they need to grow up healthy and happy. When a crying child’s need is not met, they learn not to cry, because they know it will not help them get what they want. If they do not receive the attention they need, mental health issues ensue, and adds to the forty-two million of people with mental health problems. Studies have also found that adopted children are more likely to develop social, intellectual, or emotional problems.

Many people who argue against adoption are severely uneducated about it. Others argue that they should just have their own biological child. My point is; you don’t actually need someone who have similar characteristics as you and someone else. It’s pointless to add to the population if you can just help out the population itself.

We should all adopt more in general to help 153 million children receive a loving family, but a law couldn’t be passed about forcing people to adopt. Instead, we should lower adoption fees so that more people are interested in helping a child and not discouraged. Putting a price on a child is abnormal, because every life should be priceless.

Adoptions, Inc. American. "American Adoptions -- America's Adoption Agency." The Costs of Adoption for Pregnant Mothers and Adoptive Families. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Nov. 2016.

Bekiempis, Victoria. "Nearly 1 in 5 Americans Suffers From Mental Illness Each Year." Newsweek. Newsweek, 04 Mar. 2014. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.

"Mental Health of Adopted Children: Risks and Protective Factors." AboutKidsHealth. AboutKidsHealth, n.d. Web. 07 Nov. 2016.