Sharada R. Texas

Border Patrol

Dear President, People always tell me to focus on the positive and not the negative, but if we don’t notice any of the issues in our country how do we make it a better place to live? I have watched many of the debates where our nation’s unfortunate flaws are brought up, and I am particularly interested in one of the issues that has been brought up many times. One of the issues that sparked an interest in me, was border patrol. The security in our airports is very advanced and effective, but how about the security at other places of entry? Since the 9/11 attacks happened, the security has improved tremendously, but is it really good enough? According to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, the Pew research center has said that their estimate is 300,000 to 400,000 immigrants join the illegal category per year. The Center for Immigration estimates that there are a total of 2.5 million new immigrants since President Obama took office. Until there are no illegal immigrants anymore, this issue should not be ignored. Now, some people say that the number of illegal immigrants is decreasing. That’s good, but it should not only decrease. It should decrease and become zero. There are other ways of entering the country, and I have absolutely nothing against immigrants, considering my parents are immigrants themselves. Still, an immigrant and an illegal immigrant are two very different things. If somebody is too scared to cross the border legally, then there must be a reason, and they should be checked. I believe that increasing border patrol security is a good option and making sure they have the proper technology and the right training to protect our country. There should be people on the border at all times and at all entrances. There should not be a single area along the border that is not being constantly monitored. There should also be an extra line of security after the first birder so that there is more than one line to cross. I believe that as the President of the U.S. it is your responsibility to make sure that no matter what, you will do everything our nation needs. I hope you look into this issue and do everything you have in your power to stop illegal entry into our country. Thank you for taking time out of your super busy schedule to read this. I appreciate everything you do for our country. Sincerely, Sharada R