Jacob P. Minnesota

No Homelessness

I believe that nobody should ever have to suffer through poverty and homelessness.

I am writing to share my opinions on poverty and homelessness. As you know many men, women, and families do not have a home and live on the streets. I believe that no one should have to go through homelessness and/or poverty. In January 2015, 564,708 people were homeless on a given night in the United States. That number is way too high. I believe we should not put more money into helping the homeless, but use our money in a different way that will help them more. We need to do this because it’s unacceptable for humans to live in the conditions these people do. We are already putting a ton of money into helping these homeless. However, i think we should be doing something different with the money, because whatever it is that we are putting money into is not working. So for example, instead of putting a ton of money into homeless shelters we could put a little less into shelters, and more into backing non-government funded organizations that help homeless men and women find minimum wage jobs in their area, to help get them back on their feet.

I believe that we are already putting a ton of money towards homeless men and women, so I do not think we should put more money into helping them, but put the money we are already using towards different things such as; backing non-profit organizations that help the homeless find jobs, or helping out with homeless shelters that allow men and women to stay overnight. This would help because homeless men and women can have a place to sleep at night, and provide them with a job that would help them buy a house of their own and live a normal life once again.

You may believe that if we did this, homeless shelters could not stand. I am not saying take all the money from them. I am simply stating we should take a little of that money, and put it into other things that would help the homeless (stated above). If we can do this, it would be taking a big step towards ending homelessness and poverty.

You could do what I stated above, and it would help out the homeless a lot and greatly reduce the amount of people who are homeless in the United States. This relates to the first, and one of the most important global goal, No Poverty.

Jacob K.

Chaska Middle School East

Mrs. Johnson's 8th Grade Global Studies

Global Studies class letters connecting national issues to the UN's Global Goals.