Shelby Utah

Issue of Student Loans

I address the issue of student loans and propose ideas as to how we may be able to make college more affordable and/or easy to attend.

I’m a student from Judge Memorial Catholic High School in Salt Lake City and I'm writing to address the issue of student loans, something that I fear as I approach college. In my opinion college has become more of a privilege than a right; I believe that this is due to the overwhelming expense of college today. If we invest in the education of our youth as a nation we will help our country’s economy and wellbeing overall. I would ask that as you assume your role as the leader of this country, you solve or work to solve the growing issue of student loans and the cost of college.

In 2015 data suggests that over twenty million college students had an average debt of $28,950 (procon.org). This data discourages students from pursuing a higher education. Potential college students may wonder what differentiates a student who pursues a college career and one who doesn’t. The difference lies in the way of life, the type of job, the employment rate, and the difference in salary. I’m not trying to say that people who don’t have college educations can’t succeed, I’m simply saying that getting to the point of success may be harder for them than a person who does receive a degree. I wonder if there is a way we can give equal opportunity to those who seek a college education today but can’t afford to pay for it. If we made public universities free to all who get accepted, how would it affect our economy and other resources? At what cost does making college education free have on our nation?

The way things are now, where students must take out loans and rely on their parents to assist them, isn’t efficient in the ways one would start their life independent from their parents. The transition into being an independent adult is delayed because of these loans.The student loans hinder the student’s ability to make money, due to the fact that their loans exceed the income they earn after their undergraduate and/or graduate work, thus prolonging the time it takes to pay off the loans.

A stepping stone in solving the issue of student loans would be to bring awareness to the topic: that student lending is starting to become too much for the student to pay off. I would ask that you look for ways to promote access to college education for all, lessen the burden of student loans, and create repayment plans that would best suit the student on an individual basis.

A Student from Judge Memorial