Katie R. Wisconsin

Protecting the Mother, or Taking a Life?

Abortion has been a hot topic for some time now. Although some may say it is over exaggerated and not important, it is most truly the opposite. Abortion is a definite issue that should be addressed because our country seems to be split in opinion over it. While many say a woman should have the right to choose when it comes to abortion, every stage after conception is a human being, and the worst decision to make is to end that life, no matter the circumstances.

As children, I am sure we were all taught to care and respect everyone we were surrounded with. This very concept applies to abortion. Could you imagine killing someone you know? Killing someone related to you? What kind of example are we showing younger generations when we willingly murder one of our own kind? Every embryo, every fetus, every human whose life is ended through abortion, could have become an intricate role in society. They could have become the doctor who finds a cure for Alzheimer's, a kindergarten teacher, Nobel Peace Prize winner, the list goes on. Regardless of circumstances, a woman should not be allowed to abort her child.

Women argue that they should have the right to choose what they do with their bodies, instead of the government. Operation Rescue, a pro-life organization, asked women the main reasons why they carried out with their abortion, or why they considered it. Reasons included, “not ready for the responsibility, life would be changed too much, baby could have health problems, inadequate finances” along with many others. Most of these reasons are unequal and incompetent compared to the choice they are actually making, which is taking away a life. Another remark women commonly express is that a woman should be able to get an abortion because the pregnancy could have not been planned, or been caused by, unfortunately, rape or another form of assault. However, in reality, less than half of all unintended pregnancies end in abortion, so this reason is not valid. No reason given by any justify killing a human being, which is what abortion is.

So, future president, I ask you to take into consideration the facts and morals involving abortion. It is wrong in all ways, and our country should do all it can to prevent this crime. Women have every resource to accommodate a pregnancy and birth, expected or not expected, healthy or disabled, male or female. I urge you to restrict abortion rights in citizens, and allow our country to see the beauty in all stages of life because they are all indeed alive.

Sincerely, an educated high school female

Sun Prairie High School

Ap Lang and Comp 4

Advanced Placement Language and Composition students.